Want to share an epic gameplay moment on Steam? You can use videos to do it. This guide will explain how to post videos on Steam.
Steam isn’t just a platform to buy games—it’s a platform to share your gameplay. You can share content, including images and videos, on your Steam profile.
Sharing images is easy enough, but for video, it’s a bit trickier. To post a video on Steam, you’ll need to upload it to YouTube first. From there, you can link your YouTube account to your Steam profile and link the videos you want to share.
If you’re unsure how to post a video on Steam, follow the steps below.
Uploading a Video to YouTube
Steam doesn’t allow you to use its own cloud storage to upload videos. Instead, the next (and best) method for uploading videos to Steam is to use YouTube.
It’s an easy enough process to upload videos to YouTube, but make sure that the videos you are uploading don’t fall foul of YouTube’s user policies.
To upload a video to YouTube:
- Open the YouTube studio website and sign in using your Google account details.
- If you haven’t already set up your account, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process at this point.
- Once you’ve signed in, click the Create button (top-right), then select Upload videos from the drop-down.
- Press Select videos and choose your gaming video (or videos) to upload.
- Fill in the details for your video, such as the video title, description, and more, before pressing the Next button.
- Add further details (such as subtitles) and confirm your visibility options at the next stages.
- When you’re ready, press Save to save the video and the settings you selected and publish to YouTube.
- Once the video is uploaded and the checks are complete, it’ll be visible to watch via your channel (for public videos) or by link. You can view the video by pressing Content on the right.
At this point, your video should be ready to share on Steam. Repeat the process for any additional gameplay videos you want to share.
How to Add YouTube Videos to Your Steam Profile
Once you’ve uploaded a video (or videos) to YouTube, you’ll need to link your account to your Steam profile. You can then add YouTube videos to your Steam profile.
To link a YouTube account to Steam:
- Open the Steam website or client and sign in.
- Hover over your username at the top and select the Profile option.
- On your profile page, select the Videos option on the right.
- In the Videos menu, select the Link YouTube account button.
- Press the Access YouTube account button.
- Sign in using your Google account and follow any additional instructions to complete the linking process.
- Once the accounts are linked, Steam will ask you which videos to share to your Steam profile—select them on the left.
- On the right, associate the video with a game or set it to None / other.
- Press Add video to add the video to your profile.
- To add further videos, return to the Videos menu and press the Add videos from YouTube button to repeat the process.
Once you’ve linked the video to your Steam profile, it’ll become visible in the videos menu of your profile.
To delete a video or change its visibility at any point, return to the Videos menu. From there, press Manage videos, select a video (or videos), then choose one of the options (eg. Delete or Make Private).
Sharing Your Gameplay on Steam
Using the steps above, you can quickly post videos on Steam using your YouTube account.
Make sure that the videos don’t fall foul of either YouTube or Steam’s terms of service, however. You can more easily share your screenshots on Steam using the Steam in-game overlay.
Want to build up your Steam library? You can set up a Steam wishlist to encourage others to buy games you’re looking for (or to keep an eye on the next Steam sale).
Found a game you liked but it’s taking a while to download? You can use a few tricks to increase your Steam download speeds to help fix the problem.