Need to change your GOG username to something more appropriate (or more suitable to your identity)? You can do so by following the steps in this guide.
Good Old Games (or GOG, as it’s now commonly known) is the best place to pick up retro PC games that work on modern operating systems. If a game from 20 years ago has you feeling nostalgic, you can pick it up on GOG to get it working on Windows 11 or Mac.
You can also use GOG for modern games—games like Cyberpunk 2077. One problem you might run into if you decide to play games on GOG (especially multiplayer games) is your username. An old GOG username might not suit the kind of player you are today.
Thankfully, you can switch things up and rename your account to make it better for the future. If you’re unsure how to change your GOG username, follow these steps.
Things to Consider Before Changing Your GOG Username
Before you change your GOG username, you should consider a few things first.
The most important point is that you can only change your GOG username once a month. That means that, if you make a change and you’re unhappy, you’re going to find it tough to reverse it. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible, but you’ll need to speak to GOG’s customer support team. As a gesture of goodwill, they may reverse the change (especially if it was done by mistake), but this isn’t guaranteed.
You should also check your GOG user agreement before you make any changes. A name that isn’t appropriate might not be accepted. If it is automatically approved, but GOG later discovers that the name is abusive, you could find that your account is blocked or banned as a result.
Use your best judgment here and assume that offensive, racist, misogynistic, or otherwise inappropriate words can’t (and shouldn’t) be used in your username. Likewise, you might find that special characters or letters don’t work, either.
Unsure? You can always speak to GOG first and ask for a second opinion. If in doubt, however, don’t rush to make any changes that you can’t reverse. After all, you’ll be stuck with the username for at least a month.
How to Change GOG Username on PC and Mac
Made a decision on a new GOG username? You can make the change in your user profile.
Using the GOG Client
To change your GOG username on PC or Mac:
- Open the GOG client and sign in (if required).
- In GOG, press your profile icon (top-left) and select Account management.
- In your profile menu, select the Change button next to your current username.
- If prompted, sign in again with your username and password.
- Type a new username in the box provided and press Change Username to confirm.
- Follow any additional on-screen instructions.
Your GOG username will apply immediately. You won’t be able to change it again for at least a month.
Using the GOG Website
If you can’t run the GOG client (or you’re on your mobile device), you can change your username on the GOG website.
To change your GOG username via the GOG website:
- Open the GOG website and sign in.
- Hover over your username on the top menu bar and select Orders & Settings.
- In your GOG account settings, press Account and Locale.
- Press the Change button next to your username in your GOG Account and Locale settings.
- If you’re prompted to, sign in again using your username and password.
- Once authenticated, type a new username in the box provided.
- Press Change Username to confirm the change and follow any additional on-screen instructions.
The changes to your GOG account will apply immediately. When you change your username, it should appear immediately in the GOG client. If it doesn’t, sign out of GOG and sign back in again to refresh it.
Keeping Your Gameplay Secret
Using the steps above, you can quickly change your GOG username to something that suits you better (or is more appropriate). You can also change your username on other platforms, including Steam. If you’re a Steam user, you can also hide your Steam gameplay activity.
You can also find a bit of additional privacy on GOG, too. If you want to play in secret, you can appear offline in GOG, allowing you to hide your gameplay from friends. If you’re finding that a game isn’t right for you, you can also refund a GOG game.
Having trouble loading up a game you’ve played before? You might need to delete your cloud saves on GOG to help restore your save functionality.