Want to keep your gameplay hidden on Epic Games? You may need to use a few workarounds to appear offline on Epic Games. This guide will explain how.
Epic Games is the publisher and launcher for games published by (you guessed it) Epic Games. Like Steam, Epic allows you to buy, manage, and curate a portfolio of games to play on your PC and play them with your friends.
If you don’t want to share your gameplay with others, it’s probably a good idea to switch to offline mode. If you’re unsure how to appear offline on Epic Games, you can follow this guide.
How to Appear Offline in Epic Games Chat
Like Steam, Epic Games has a built-in friends facility to allows you to chat with others on your friend list. If you don’t want to do this, you can set yourself to do not disturb mode in the Epic Games chat.
This isn’t technically an offline mode feature, but it will stop you from receiving notifications for messages.
To appear offline in Epic Games chat:
- Open the Epic Games client and sign in (if you aren’t already).
- Press the friends icon in the top-right.
- In the pop-up, press the gear icon.
- Tap the Do Not Disturb slider to activate the mode.
- To disable do not disturb mode, tap the slider again to disable it.
Enable Offline Mode Browsing
Epic Games has a feature called Offline Mode Browsing. This feature takes you offline and allows you to view your game list (and play your games) offline without sharing your gameplay status with others.
To enable Offline Mode Browsing in Epic Games:
- Open the Epic Games client and sign in.
- Once you’ve signed in, press your account icon in the top-right.
- In the menu, press Settings.
- In Settings, press the Enable Offline Mode Browsing checkbox.
- The setting will activate immediately. To disable it, press the checkbox again.
Sign Out of Epic Games
Want to make sure your privacy is secure and your gameplay is hidden on Steam? You can sign out of Epic Games entirely.
This will prevent you from using online features (such as multiplayer). However, if you’re playing single-player games, you should be able to stay offline without your gameplay being shared with others. You can still use the individual game launchers to play the game.
To sign out of Epic Games:
- Open the Epic Games client.
- Press your account icon in the top-right.
- From the menu, press the Sign Out option.
- If prompted, confirm your choice to sign out.
Gaming Privacy on Epic Games
Using the steps above, you can quickly appear offline on Epic Games. Whether it’s an awkward friend you’re avoiding, or you’re just looking for a bit of peaceful gameplay, you can use a number of these steps to stay hidden while you’re playing your favorite games.
Don’t forget to check your game’s own Epic settings for further options to go offline. If your game uses Epic Games for multiplayer, for instance, you may be able to go offline in the game directly. You may need to check your game’s settings and multiplayer menus (or the Steam website) for more information on how to do this.
Lacking friends to play with? Go back online and add some using Epic Games’ friends mode. If you’re using Steam, you can also add friends on Steam to play with.