How to Add and Delete Categories on Steam
You can use collections in Steam to categorize your games based on interest, genre, publisher, and more. To use collections in Steam, follow this guide.
Is your Steam library becoming difficult to navigate? You can organize your games into categories—custom groupings of games you own. The categories can be around anything you like, whether it’s the type of game, the publisher, or your own personal preferences.
If you want to know how to add and delete categories on Steam, follow the steps below.
How to Add New Categories on Steam
Categories in Steam are called collections. With no collections in your Steam library, all of the games you own will appear in the all or uncategorized categories.
You’ll need to start creating new collections to group your games together. There are two types of collections—standard and dynamic. A standard collection will only grow by manually adding games to it. A dynamic collection, however, will grow automatically, using pre-set filters to determine the types of games you create.
To create a new Steam category on a PC or Mac:
- Open the Steam client on your PC or Mac and sign in.
- Press Library in the menu at the top.
- Right-click a game in your library panel on the left and select Add to > New Collection.
- In the New Collection window, type a name for your collection in the box provided.
- Choose to create a standard or dynamic collection type. If you press create collection, the collection will appear immediately on the left.
- If you choose the create dynamic collection option, you’ll be taken to the filters page. You can select by game type, category, genre, tag, and more—select your options to apply the filter changes automatically.
By definition, dynamic collections will grow automatically based on the types of games you want to add. You can add games to the collection manually, however. For standard collections, you’ll need to add games to it manually using the steps below.
Adding and Removing Games from Steam Categories
Once you’ve created a new Steam category (collection), you can easily add and remove games to it from your Steam library area. You’ll need to do this from your Steam client on PC or Mac.
To add and remove games from Steam categories:
- Open the Steam client and sign in.
- Select Library from the top menu.
- On the left, right-click a game to add or remove it from a collection. To add a game, select Add to and choose a collection (or press New collection to create a new one instead).
- To remove a game from a Steam collection, right-click the game and select Remove from, then choose the collection name.
How to Delete Categories on Steam
Too many categories to sort though? You can remove any categories (collections) you make from your Steam library. Removing the collection won’t delete the games from your account, but it will remove the categorization applied to them.
To delete categories on Steam:
- Open the Steam client and sign in.
- From the top menu, select Library.
- Right-click a collection name in the panel on the left and select Remove collection.
- Confirm the collection removal by pressing Remove collection.
Removing the collection will return any games to the uncategorized section. If the game has been added to more than one collection, it’ll remain in those collections.
Organizing Your Steam Library
The steps above should help you to add or delete categories on Steam. Using categories, you can organize your Steam library however you like. This will make it easy to find and play the games you really love, as well as take notice of games you might have forgotten about.
Got your own tips for managing an ever-growing Steam library? Feel free to share them in the comments below.