If you don’t like your Steam account name, you’ll need to know what to look for and what settings you can change. This guide will explain what to do.
If you’re a PC gaming pro, you’ve probably had a Steam account for a while. What sounded clever ten years ago might seem a bit cringy today—your Steam account name among them.
If you want to know how to change your Steam account name, follow our steps below.
Can You Change Your Steam Account Name or ID?
There’s an important distinction to make between your Steam account name, Steam account ID, and your Steam profile name.
Your account ID is the 17-digit numerical ID that’s assigned to your account. You can find this by visiting your Steam account settings page, where the ID number will appear underneath the account title at the top. This ID number is also recognized as your Steam account name by Steam itself.
Can you change your Steam ID or account name? The answer is no, you can’t change your Steam ID or account name. What you can change, however, is your Steam profile name.
Your Steam profile name is your own custom nickname for your account, which you can apply via your account profile. This is the username you’ll use to sign in to Steam.
You can change this as many times as you like without any issue. If you want to make it easier for others to find you, you can also add your real name to your profile.
How to Change Steam Profile Name in the Steam Client
If you’re using Steam on your PC or Mac, you can change your profile name via the Steam client itself.
To change Steam profile name on PC or Mac:
- Open the Steam client and sign in.
- Hover over your account name in the top menu.
- Select View my profile from the drop-down.
- In your profile menu, press the Edit Profile button.
- In the General section, make changes to the profile name section to update your Steam profile name.
- You can also make changes to the real name and custom URL sections for further personalization.
- When you’re done, scroll to the bottom and press Save to confirm the changes.
How to Change Steam Profile Name Online
You can also customize your Steam profile name (and other account settings) using the Steam website.
To change your Steam profile name online:
- Open the Steam website and sign in.
- Press your current profile name in the top-right.
- Press View profile from the drop-down.
- On your profile page, press Edit Profile.
- In your profile settings, make changes to your profile name by editing it in the profile name section.
- Make further personalization changes to your real name and custom URL, as required.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and press Save to apply the changes to your profile.
Deleting Your Steam Account
Unhappy with the Steam ID you’ve been assigned? It’s just a randomly generated number, but if you don’t like it, you can apply a custom profile name and URL.
If that isn’t enough, however, you’d need to delete your Steam account and start again. This will mean losing access to all of your saved games and content. We wouldn’t advise this—you can simply create a new account if you’re unhappy without losing the content on your old account.
However, if you really want to delete your Steam account, you can do so by following the steps below.
To delete your Steam account:
- Open the Steam website and sign in.
- Select your profile name in the top-right.
- Press Account details from the drop-down.
- Scroll to the bottom of the account page and press Delete my Steam account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Enjoying Steam Games
Using the steps above, you can change your Steam profile name and other profile settings—but not your account ID. If your username isn’t to your taste, you should be able to change it by changing your profile name in your account settings.
Got other Steam tips to share? Drop them in the comments below.