How to Remove Phone Numbers in Discord
Concerned about your privacy on Discord? You can remove phone numbers from your account (as long as you set up other 2FA methods). This guide explains how.
Discord is a popular app for chatting with friends and joining online communities, but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect. If you’re worried about your privacy (especially in the face of potential data breaches), you might not want to share your phone number with Discord.
Luckily, you can easily remove your phone number from Discord. We’ll explain how below.
Why Should You Remove Your Phone Number from Discord?
You might want to remove your phone number from Discord for a few reasons. For instance:
- You don’t want to risk your phone number (which rarely changes) being leaked in a data breach. Unfortunately, this isn’t an unlikely occurrence in the tech world.
- You don’t want to verify your account with your phone number every time you log in on a new device.
- You don’t want to risk losing access to your account if you ever lose or change your phone number.
There are legitimate reasons for removing your phone number from Discord. However, if removing it means removing two-factor authentication from your account, we’d advise adding another method for 2FA (such as using a 2FA app) first.
Make sure to check Discord’s documentation pages for the latest advice on how to do this first before you proceed.
How to Remove Your Phone Number on Discord on PC or Mac
Using Discord on your PC or Mac, you can easily remove or change a phone number from your account using the desktop or web client.
To remove a phone number from Discord on a PC or Mac:
- Open the Discord desktop or web client on your PC or Mac.
- Log into your account with the phone number you want to remove.
- Click the User Settings icon in the bottom-left corner (shaped like a gear).
- Select the My Account menu from the left-hand column.
- On the right, click Remove next to the phone number option.
- Enter your password and tap Remove to confirm.
Follow any additional on-screen instructions to remove the phone number from your Discord account.
How to Remove Your Phone Number on Discord on Mobile
You’ll need the Discord app installed on your mobile device to remove your phone number. You’ll also need to be signed in with the correct account first.
Note: If you’ve forgotten your password, tap on Forgot Password? and follow the instructions to reset it first before you proceed.
To remove your phone number from Discord on mobile:
- Open the Discord app on your mobile device and sign in to your account.
- Tap on your user profile icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Select Account from the menu.
- Tap Phone in the Account Information section.
- You’ll be prompted to update your phone number—tap Remove Phone Number at the bottom instead.
- Type in your password and tap Done to confirm the process.
Your phone number will now be removed from Discord.
How to Delete a Discord Account Created With Your Phone Number
If you created your Discord account with a phone number and you don’t have an email address attached to it, you might prefer to delete the account and start again.
You’ll need to make sure you delete any server you’ve created (or transfer ownership of them) before you proceed.
To delete a Discord account created using your phone number, follow these steps:
- Open the Discord desktop or web client and sign in.
- Select the User Settings icon (the gear) in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Click My Account on the left.
- Find and click the Delete Account button at the bottom of the My Account options on the right.
- To confirm the deletion, enter your password and follow any additional on-screen instructions.
Note: Deleting a Discord account isn’t irreversible—you have 14 days in which you can change your mind. However, it’s always a good idea to make sure that you actually do want to delete your account before you proceed.
You’ll also need to transfer ownership of any servers that you currently own before you proceed. Otherwise, Discord won’t allow you to complete the process.
What Happens After You Remove Your Phone Number?
After you remove your phone number from Discord, you can no longer use it for verification or recovery purposes. This means:
- You’ll need to use an email address or another method, such as Google Authenticator, to verify your account when logging into Discord on a new device.
- You’ll need to use an email address to reset your password if you forget it.
- You won’t be able to restore access to your account if you lose both your email address and your password.
- If you delete a Discord account that you created using your phone number and it doesn’t have an email address attached to it, you’ll only have 14 days in which to reverse the process. After that, the deletion is permanent.
If you remove your phone number from Discord, make sure that you keep your email address updated and secure. If you don’t, you’ll lose access to your account completely.
It’s also important that you use a strong password that you can remember. Removing a layer of two-factor authentication (unless you replace it with another method) will leave you without access to your account if it’s ever compromised.
Managing Discord Settings
Removing your phone number from Discord can help you protect your privacy if you’re worried about data breaches. However, it also means you will lose some security features that rely on your phone number, such as two-factor authentication. If that’s the case, ensure you have other ways of verifying and recovering your account before removing your phone number.
Are you a Discord newbie? Start adding your friends to Discord and send them a message. You can also set up your own Discord server to hang out in, too.
Want to try something different? Why not send videos on Discord to liven up a channel? Better still, you could create your own Discord emojis to add some touches of personalization to your own server.