How to Find, Join, or Create a Steam Group
Do you want to build a community on Steam? You can use the group system to do it. This guide will help you find, join, or create a Steam group today.
Steam isn’t just a place for you to buy your games. Thanks to Steam groups, you can use Steam to find and join communities around the games and subjects you love most.
Don’t see a group you like? You can even create your own Steam group, letting you build a community of like-minded individuals. From there, you can share photos and videos, chat, and play games together.
If you want to know how to find, join, or create a Steam group, follow the steps below.
How to Find and Join a Steam Group
The first step in joining a Steam group is finding one to join. You can join any public Steam group by using the Groups menu. If the group isn’t public, you may need to be invited by a group administrator first.
You can follow these steps in the Steam client on your PC or Mac or by signing in to Steam in your web browser.
To find and join a Steam group:
- Open the Steam client or sign in to the Steam website from your browser.
- Hover over your username in the menu at the top.
- From the drop-down menu, select Groups.
- Click Find a Group on the left in the Groups menu.
- Type a group name or topic (such as a game name) in the Search for Community Groups search bar and press Enter.
- A list of search results will appear—scroll through the list to find a group you want to join and select it.
- If the option is available, click Join Group in the top right.
Once you’ve joined a group, the group will be visible in the Groups menu. You can then interact with the group by joining in with discussions and events and posting your content, such as game screenshots.
How to Leave a Steam Group
Decided to leave a Steam group you’ve joined? You can leave a group anytime by returning to the Groups menu. As before, you can follow the steps from the Steam client or the Steam website.
To leave a Steam group:
- Open the Steam client or sign in to the Steam website.
- From the menu bar, hover over your username and select Groups from the drop-down menu.
- In the Groups menu, locate the group you want to leave.
- If you can’t find the group, type in the group name in the search bar at the top.
- Click Leave Group next to the group name to leave the group.
- Steam will ask you for confirmation that you want to remove the group, so click Leave Group to confirm.
Once you’ve left a Steam group, you may lose access to certain group privileges, such as joining in with discussions. If you change your mind, you can repeat the steps above to rejoin the group afterward.
How to Create a Steam Group
If you haven’t found a Steam group you like, you could create your own. You can create a Steam group yourself from the Groups menu in the Steam client or on the Steam website.
To create a Steam group:
- Open the Steam client or Steam website and sign in.
- Hover over your username in the top menu and select Groups from the drop-down menu.
- Select Create Group in the left-hand menu in the Groups menu.
- In the Create a Group menu, type a name for your group and click Check Availability.
- If the name is available, proceed to the next step, or change the name and repeat the process until you choose a name that’s free to use.
- Repeat these steps for an abbreviation for your group in the Abbreviation box and the group URL in the Group Link box.
- If you want the group to be public (and free for anyone to join), click the Public Group checkbox. Otherwise, leave this blank to leave the group as invite-only.
- When you’re ready to proceed, click Create.
- Confirm the details are correct in the next menu before clicking Create to create it.
To configure your Steam group:
At this point, your group is created and ready for members to join. Steam will move you to the Officer Tools menu, where you can make further changes to your group settings.
For instance, you might want to add a group logo, add a description, attach games you play to the group to make it easier to find, and more.
When you’re done, click Save Changes at the bottom.
Building a Community on Steam
Thanks to Steam groups, you don’t need to play alone. You can build a whole network of friends to play and enjoy your favorite games and chat and share content you’ve created together.
Want to take things further? You might want to add your friends on Steam and encourage them to join your groups. You can also gift Steam games to friends to make sure you can play together.
Missing a game in your catalog? Consider creating a Steam wishlist for others to buy from. If you find a game you love, don’t forget to leave a Steam review so that others know whether it’s great (or not).