How to Change Your Twitch Banner Image
One good way to personalize your Twitch profile is to add a banner image. If you’re unsure how to change it, follow the steps in this guide.
Your Twitch profile says everything about you. If you’re a streamer, it’s the gateway to your community, but it’s also a place for other users to learn more about you.
However, Twitch users who don’t stream shouldn’t neglect their profile. If you want to make an impression in a new community, you should update your Twitch profile to include content about yourself. That includes changing your Twitch banner image to something that suits your personality.
If you’re unsure how to change your Twitch banner image, follow the steps below.
Guidelines for Twitch Banner Images
Your Twitch banner image is the image that appears at the top of your account profile. This is visible to other Twitch users when they visit your profile page.
However, before you change your Twitch banner image, you’ll need to be aware of some important guidelines and restrictions. These include:
- Using the recommended image size. Twitch banner images should ideally be 1200 pixels by 480 pixels in size. If you use an image that doesn’t match this, it may become distorted when it appears on your profile page.
- Using a correct image file format. Twitch banner images should use JPG, GIF, or PNG image file formats.
- Not exceeding file size limits. Your Twitch banner image should not exceed 10MB in size. If it is, you’ll need to reduce the quality of the image before you upload it.
- Don’t breach Twitch’s terms of service. Your image shouldn’t include anything that breaches Twitch’s terms of service. For example, don’t use racist imagery, profanity, or use copyrighted content.
If your image is suitable and follows these guidelines, you can upload it to your Twitch profile using your PC, Mac, or mobile device by using the steps below.
How to Change Twitch Banner Image on PC or Mac
The easiest way to change your Twitch banner image is to use the Twitch website on your PC or Mac. Any changes you make here are account-wide and should appear on any platform you use.
The image you upload will also become public, so other Twitch users can also see it.
To change your Twitch banner image on a PC or Mac:
- Open the Twitch website in your web browser.
- Click Log In in the top right to sign in.
- Once you’ve signed in, click the account icon in the top right.
- In the pop-up menu, select Settings.
- Click the Profile tab on the Settings screen.
- In the Profile Banner section, click Update to replace your existing (or placeholder) image.
- On the pop-up Editing profile banner box, click Upload a Photo to upload a new Twitch image.
Allow time for Twitch to upload the image. If the image is successfully uploaded, Twitch will automatically apply it to your account.
To return to a generated Twitch banner image
If you don’t like the image, repeat these steps to replace it with another one.
You can also access your Twitch channel dashboard to remove the image and return to the pre-generated placeholder. Go to Settings > Channel > Brand in your Twitch dashboard and click Generated Background.
Click Save to confirm the changes.
How to Change Twitch Banner Image on Mobile Devices
If you prefer to use the Twitch mobile app, you can update your Twitch banner image using it. The Twitch app is almost identical for Android, iPhone, and iPad users, so these steps should be the same (or very similar) on both platforms.
To change your Twitch banner image on Android, iPhone, or iPad:
- Open the Twitch app on your mobile device and sign in.
- Tap the account icon in the top left.
- In the Account menu, tap Account Settings.
- In the Settings menu, tap Account.
- Tap Edit Profile in the Account menu.
- To edit your Twitch profile banner, tap the Edit icon next to the Profile Banner option.
- When prompted, select the Choose existing photo option to upload an image from your device. Use your device’s file management tools to upload an image.
- Alternatively, tap Take photo to take a new photo using your device’s camera as your banner image instead.
- Use the cropping tools provided to select the area of the photo you want to use as your Twitch banner image.
- Tap Save in the top right to apply the changes to your image.
Once the image is uploaded and cropped, Twitch will apply it to your account. It will immediately become visible on your Twitch profile. Repeat these steps if you want to replace the image at any point.
Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to return to the pre-generated Twitch banner image using the mobile app. If you want to use the pre-generated image, you’ll need to sign in to your Twitch channel dashboard. As this menu isn’t mobile-friendly, the best way to do this is to follow the steps outlined above.
Updating Your Twitch Profile
Once you know how to change your Twitch banner image, you can start to fill out and personalize your Twitch profile. You can also add profile text and images, update your Twitch color, and even change your Twitch name to something that better suits your online persona.
You could also think about steps to improve your Twitch experience. One good method would be to block Twitch ads by subscribing to a streamer or upgrading to Twitch Turbo.
Having trouble with your Twitch streams? If you see a Twitch black screen, you should be able to troubleshoot the problem using some common fixes.