If you’ve changed email address (or your account is compromised), you’ll want to change email on Steam. This guide explains how.
Your Steam library isn’t just a list of games, but the product of multiple purchases you’ve made for games. Hundreds of games could mean thousands spent on your favorite (and not-so-favorite) games.
That’s why it’s important to keep on top of your Steam account maintenance. For instance, if your email account is compromised, you might want to know how to change your email on Steam.
If unsure, you can follow the steps below to update your Steam account email.
How to Change Your Email on Steam on PC or Mac
The easiest way to change your email on Steam is to use the Steam client. This application allows you to install, update, and play Steam games on your PC or Mac.
From an account security perspective, however, it also plays an important role. If you’re signed in using the Steam client, you can change your account settings (including changing your Steam email) without needing a phone number attached to your Steam account.
You can still change your email on Steam without issues if you haven’t secured your account. However, if your account uses a Steam Guard device (a form of two-factor authentication with the Steam mobile app), you may need to use this to sign in and make changes first.
To change your email on Steam for PC or Mac:
- Open the Steam client and sign in.
- In the Steam client window, go to Steam > Settings (on Windows) or Steam > Preferences (on Mac).
- In the Settings or Preferences window, click Account on the left.
- To change your Steam email address, click Change Contact Email Address.
- You’ll be prompted to choose a method to authenticate yourself in the pop-up window. For instance, if you use Steam Guard two-factor authentication using the mobile app, click Send a confirmation to my Steam Mobile app.
- Once you’ve authenticated using your chosen method, type a new email address in the Change Email Address box.
- To confirm the change, click Change Email.
- Steam will email you your new email address to confirm the change and verify your account. Wait for the email and follow any additional instructions to complete the process.
Once you’ve verified your email address, your Steam account email should be updated account-wide. Steam emails will now be sent to your new email address.
If you need to reverse the change, you’ll need to repeat these steps to switch your account to your previous email address. If you cannot change your Steam email, you’ll need to contact Steam’s support team for further support and advice.
How to Change Email on Steam Online
Don’t have the Steam client installed? You can change your Steam account email online using the Steam website from any advice.
You will still need to authenticate using your Steam Guard mobile app with two-factor authentication. If you don’t have this set up, you may need to authenticate using your account’s phone number or your existing email address.
To change your email on Steam online:
- Open the Steam website and sign in.
- Click your account name in the top-right.
- From the drop-down menu, select Account Details.
- In the Account details menu, scroll down to the Contact Info section.
- Click Change my email address.
- Choose an option to authenticate yourself (such as using your Steam mobile app) and follow any additional on-screen instructions.
- Once you’ve authenticated yourself, type in a new email address and click Change Email.
- An email from Steam will be sent to your new email account to verify that it exists. Follow any instructions inside the email to verify your account.
Once your new email address is verified, Steam will immediately begin to use the new email address for your account. If you forget your password, emails will be sent to this new email address to reset it.
If you’re unable to change your password using this method, you may be able to contact Steam support online for further help and advice. For instance, you may need to do this if you cannot use the Steam Guard method to authenticate yourself using the mobile app.
Keeping Your Steam Account Safe
Thanks to the steps above, you should know how to change your email on Steam and keep your account safe if you need to update your details. Remember to add secondary forms of contact for your account, such as your phone number, and enable two-factor authentication on your account using a Steam Guard device.
Secured your account? It’s time to put your library in order. For instance, you could start adding Steam categories to categorize your favorite games and make them easier to track.
You can also hide your games on Steam, so they’re not visible to anyone but you. This is useful if your account is public and you don’t want others to see all your games.
If you’ve found a game you love (or hate), you should consider writing a Steam review to share your advice with others. If you have trouble with any games you’re playing, don’t forget to verify your game files on Steam before you try and uninstall them.